What impact could an attack have?
- Financial losses from theft of information, financial and bank details or money.
- Financial losses from disruption to trading and doing business – especially if you are dependent on doing business online.
- Costs from cleaning up affected systems and getting them up and running.
- Costs of fines if personal data is lost or compromised.
- Costs of losing business through damage to your reputation and customer base.
- Damage to other companies that you supply or are connected to.
Who could pose a threat to these assets?
- Current or former employees, or people you do business with. Compromising your information by accident, through negligence, or with malicious intent.
- Out to steal from you, compromise your valuable information or disrupt your business because they don’t like what you do.
- Business competitors. Wanting to gain an economic advantage.
What form could the threat take?
- Theft or unauthorized access of computers, laptops, tablets, mobiles.
- Remote attack on your IT systems or website.
- Attacks to information held in third party systems, such as your hosted services or company bank account.
- Gaining access to information through your staff.